5 Day Programs in Rhode Island for Adults with Developmental Disabilities
Finding a day program for your newly disabled loved one can be overwhelming, and it is challenging to know where even to start. This list of links to Rhode Island day programs might be one place to start.*
*Please note that this article is for informational purposes only and doesn’t serve as an endorsement from Lift & Care Systems for any of these programs. Please do the research for yourself to help find the right day program for you and your loved ones. Here are a few of our other blog posts to help with this:
- What to Look for in a Community-Based Services Day Program for Disabled Adults
- How to Assess the Safety of a Day Program
- Durable Medical Equipment Every Day Program Should Have in Place
The Perspectives Corporation provides community-based services to help people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. They do this by providing a wide range of adult day services including:
- Social Activities – These activities are tailored to the participants’ skills and interests in a variety of social settings. These activities promote the development of skills such as money management, literacy, and pedestrian skills.
- Educational Activities – Also tailored to the participants’ needs and interests, the Perspectives day program provides instruction in a formal teaching setting where the participants work on academic development, language classes, GED, vocational training, and even college courses. Or these activities can focus on building life skills in day-to-day life.
- Job Placement & Support – Provides participants to obtain and maintain meaningful employment within the community through skills assessments, job coaching, and skills-based training.
These day program services provide individuals with intellectual disabilities opportunities to build skills and independence through employment opportunities, community integration/inclusion, and self-reliance skills. The Community Living of RI program focuses on vocational learning to help participants achieve gainful employment at a living wage. These programs are customized based on the individual’s skills, abilities, and interests.
In the Looking Upwards Day Enrichment Services program, having a developmental disability needn’t be a barrier to creating the kind of day you want. This program focuses on helping participants to discover their interests and talents and find ways to learn, grow, and expand their horizons.
Looking Upwards offers a wealth of experiences at their enrichment studios, which provides a new schedule of classes and activities every month. They also offer community-based activities to enrich and enhance the participants’ lives. Some of these activities include learning about fiber arts, dance, literature, language, technology, history, poetry, music, theatre, art, and jewelry design.
The Cove Center’s Day Program is a service program to respond to the needs of individuals with developmental disabilities, including autism, behavioral challenges, and emotional disabilities. The program provides access to vocational, social, and communications skill programs to help clients reach their greatest level of independence, productivity, empowerment, and community access.
The Cove Center also offers a Day Habilitation Program to help individuals exercise control over his/her environment, increase choice-making with dignity and respect, and support individual achievement through the provision of individual habilitative assessment and skills training.
They also have an Employment Services Program to help individuals with intellectual and developmental Disabilities seek and maintain meaningful employment in their communities.
This program provides Community-Integrated Day Supports to provide opportunities for individuals to connect and contribute within their community, discover their interests, and build valuable life skills. Some of these opportunities include: not limited to:
- Physical Exercise and Swimming at Local Gyms
- Seasonal and Interest-Based Activities
- Music and Sensory Therapy
Looking for Durable Medical Equipment for Your Day Program?
Give us here at Lift and Care Systems a call. We have been serving disabled individuals and their caregivers in Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Rhode Island for over 20 years. We have the name-brand durable medical equipment (DME) that you need, such as Surehands Lift Systems, Bruno Stair Lifts, and Best Bath accessibility products (just to name a few). Contact us today for a free consultation at (508) 465-5254 or fill out our online contact form to speak to one of our durable medical equipment (DME) specialists today.