5 Day Programs in the Boston Area for Adults with Developmental Disabilities
Finding a day program for your newly disabled loved one can be overwhelming, and it is challenging to know where to even start. This list of links to Boston area day programs might be one place to start.*
*Please note that this article is for informational purposes only and doesn’t serve as an endorsement from Lift & Care Systems for any of these programs. Please do the research for yourself to help find the right day program for you and your loved ones. Here are a few of our other blog posts to help with this:
- What to Look for in a Community-Based Services Day Program for Disabled Adults
- How to Assess the Safety of a Day Program
- Durable Medical Equipment Every Day Program Should Have in Place
MAB Adult Disability Services is a Brookline-based adult day programming center that offers three programs:
- MABHab– This day habitation program serves adults with developmental disabilities and brain injuries that occurred before the age of 22. This program provides comprehensive clinical services, including occupational therapy, physical therapy, and speech-language therapy, in addition to full-time nursing and behavioral health support.
- MABWorks– A vocational program aimed toward obtaining community employment for our clients. This helps individuals develop the skills they need to gain independence and improve their quality of life. A few of the skills taught within this program include: using public transportation, shopping, developing friendships, or budgeting.
- MAB Without Walls (MABVoc)– Helps individuals in the ABI Waiver program who’ve suffered brain injury to regain employment by supporting them as they learn the skills necessary to participate fully in the workforce.
This Day Habilitation program for adults with developmental disabilities is offered throughout the Greater Boston area and provides comprehensive individualized support to help each participant to achieve their greatest level of independence.
These programs support even those with complex medical needs providing medical monitoring, as well as nursing, physical, occupational, and speech therapies with daily living skills training and active community involvement. The available day services and activities include:
- Volunteer activities
- Social skills training
- Community integration
- Communication skills development
- Functional living activities
- Behavior management
HMEA’s Day Habilitation Program provides services to individuals who are at least 22 years old and have been diagnosed with autism and/or other developmental disabilities. This program promotes independent living through community integration, relationship building, social and communication skills, and daily living and recreational activities.
HMEA also provides on-site nursing, speech/language therapy, physical and occupational therapy, clinical supports, and help participants identify skills and interests to assist them in achieving their personal goals and being active participants in their communities.
Bay Cove provides a comprehensive range of day services that focus on education, community integration, employment support, and skill development for persons with varying levels of developmental disabilities.
These programs provide a safe and supportive environment to help participants learn to take charge of their lives and become more active in their communities through classes, volunteer opportunities, outings, therapies, and much more.
Bay Cove also offers employment services to help individuals learn (or re-learn) important job skills so that these individuals can rejoin the workforce.
United Cerebral Palsy of MetroBoston offers therapeutic services and life skills training to promote independence, encourage community participation, and provide integrated opportunities for recreation and personal growth for adults with developmental disabilities.
This program has been in place since 1983, serving adults with multiple disabilities. Participants receive individualized services, designed to meet each individual’s needs. UCP offers two major programs, a Day Hab program to help young adults learn new skills, and Community Experience, a program designed to emphasize acquiring independent living skills. Both programs provide a comprehensive array of services including:
- Occupational therapy
- Speech therapy
- Nursing supervision
- Information, referrals, and social work services
- Daily living skills
- Physical therapy
- Developmental skills training
- Behavioral intervention
- Functional living skills
- Community integration activities
Need Durable Medical Equipment for Your Home or Day Program?
Give us here at Lift and Care Systems a call. We have been serving disabled individuals and their caregivers in Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Rhode Island for over 20 years. We have the name-brand durable medical equipment (DME) that you need, such as Surehands Lift Systems, Bruno Stair Lifts, and Best Bath accessibility products (just to name a few). Contact us today for a free consultation at (508) 465-5254 or fill out our online contact form to speak to one of our durable medical equipment (DME) specialists today.