Supporting and Creating Awareness Of Those Living With Muscular Dystrophy and Spinal Cord Injury
While our team of patient lift and other DME experts works with individuals living with a variety of acquired or present-at-birth disabilities and their families to support them living the best possible life quality, this blog post calls attention to individuals and families impacted by Muscular Dystrophy (MD) and Spinal Cord Injury (SCI). Why? Because September is both Muscular Dystrophy Awareness Month and Spinal Cord Injury Awareness Month.
And, we want to acknowledge the great courage, emotional strength, perseverance, resiliency, and adaptability of those challenged by these conditions, as well as remind individuals to support organizations that provide beneficial MD or SCI services and information and/or that conduct important research on potential new treatments.
High-Level Facts About Muscular Dystrophy
- Muscular Dystrophy is caused by genetic code mutation.
- There are over 30 forms of MD, but most common forms are Duchenne MD (DMD) and Becker MD (BMD).
- While a key indicator of MD is the progressive weakening and atrophy (wasting) of muscles, the severity of symptoms and muscles affected vary widely based on disease nature of individual living with it.
High-Level Facts About Spinal Cord Injury
- Spinal cord injury is caused by damage to any part of the spinal cord or nerves at the end of the spinal canal.
- SCI often causes permanent changes in body functions below the injury site, plus changes in strength and sensation.
- Two forms of paralysis that can occur with SCI are quadriplegia, which means arms, hands, trunk, legs and pelvic organics are all impacted by SCI, and paraplegia, which means trunk, legs and pelvic organs are impacted.
Organizations Who Support Individuals and Families Impacted by MD
- Muscular Dystrophy Association (National Organization)
- Parent Project Muscular Dystrophy (Focused on Duchenne MD)
- Muscular Dystrophy News Today (Important Updates on MD Treatment)
Organizations Who Support Individuals and Families Impacted by SCI
- Greater Boston area, Central/Western MA, CT, and RI VA Boston Healthcare System, VA Central Western Massachusetts Healthcare System, VA Connecticut Healthcare System, and VA Providence Healthcare System. Read our recent shout-out to the aforementioned organizations supporting individuals and families challenged by SCI
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (Federal Government Agency)
- United Spinal Association (National Organization)
- SpinalCord.com (Diverse SCI Resources)
How Lift & Care Systems Helps Individuals and Families Impacted by MD and SCI
Many of the individuals and families whom we serve related to their mobility, independence, life quality, and safety needs have been with us throughout their journeys with MD and SCI. While, initially, the impact of their disease/disability may be less severe and they may only want or need a stair lift chair or ramp to provide access to their home or to various floors within their home, eventually, as their condition progresses, they may need our help installing a patient lift.
We want our customers to know and feel that we are there for them every step of the way, and are always available to consult with them about their specific mobility and transport needs. Every day, we are so inspired by the amazing families and individuals we meet – by their hope, resiliency, and their contributions to the community and to others. We think all our customers are disability superstars and we’re honored and proud to offer products and services that allow them to live the best quality of life.
Always Here To Help Regarding Patient Lift And Other DME Needs
The team of disability & aging in place experts and durable medical specialists at Lift & Care Systems has been helping individuals living with disability in MA, CT, and RI enjoy the best quality of life and greater independence for almost 30 years. Our skilled team can install and teach you how to correctly use one or several of the following types of products that help both seniors and disabled individuals enjoy more freedom and a higher quality of life: ceiling lifts, body support & slings, staircase lift chairs, wheelchair ramps, bathroom safety for seniors, mobile lifts, pool lifts, vertical platform lifts, accessible showers, wall-to-wall patient lifts.
Reach out for a free consultation about how we can help you and your loved one related to accessibility and safety DME needs.