What You Need to Know About Applying for Disability Services in Connecticut

Every state has different requirements for applying for disability services. Connecticut’s Department of Aging and Disability Services (ADS) is the best place to start for assisting residents of the state whose disabilities make it difficult for them to work.

Couple applying for services and durable medical equipment (DME) in Hartford, CT

The ADS Programs and Services page has a tremendous number of links to information resources such as:

  • Benefits Counseling– For individuals getting disability cash or medical benefits.
  • CHOICES (Connecticut’s program for Health insurance assistance, Outreach, Information and referral, Counseling, Eligibility Screening) – This program helps Connecticut residents with Medicare understand their benefits and healthcare options. This page includes supplement rate and benefit charts, a CHOICES Enrollment Guide, and much more.
  • Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) – Bureau of Rehabilitation Services creates opportunities that enable individuals with significant disabilities to work competitively and live independently, and offers individualized services for persons with disabilities who are eligible for VR, and provides supports in planning for and achieving their career goals.
  • Live Well– This is a chronic disease self-management program that provides programs and resources for older adults and caregivers with ongoing conditions such as arthritis, diabetes, high blood pressure, anxiety, depression, heart and lung disease, asthma, and any chronic pain.

These are just a few of the resources located on this page. Take some time to look at the other resources available for older adults, disabled individuals, and their families and caregivers.

Applying for Social Security Disability Benefits

Disability Determination Services (DDS) is the state agency that determines the medical eligibility of Connecticut residents who apply for cash benefits for these two programs administered by the Social Security Administration (SSA):

  • Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

The first thing you need to do is complete and submit applications for services through the SSA. You can do this by going to SSA.gov, over the phone by calling 1-800-772-1213  (TTY 1-800-325-0778), or by visiting a local social security office (you can find the nearest one by entering your zip code in the Social Security Office Locator).

It is also a good idea to seek the assistance of a qualified social security disability attorney because approximately two-thirds of disability applicants are denied benefits initially.

What You Need for Disability Applications

For medical disability applications, you will need to provide required details about the individual’s situation such as:

  • A detailed description of the individual’s impairments
  • Contact information for the healthcare providers and facilities treating your condition (names, addresses, phone numbers)
  • Any other relevant information about the disability

For non-medical eligibility assessments, you will need to provide information such as:

  • Age
  • Employment history
  • Marital Status
  • Proof of citizenship

Connecticut Vocational Rehabilitation Services

The Connecticut ADS Bureau of Rehabilitation Services (BRS) also offers vocational rehabilitation services to help individuals with disabilities prepare for, obtain, maintain or advance in employment.

Here are some of the individualized services that BRS provides:

  • Vocational counseling
  • Benefits counseling
  • Job search assistance
  • School-to-work transition services
  • Skills training and career education in college and/or vocational schools
  • On-the-job training in business and industry
  • Assistive technology services such as adaptive equipment and durable medical equipment (DME) for mobility, communication and work activities
  • Vehicle and home modification
  • Supported employment services
  • Services to assist in restoring or improving a physical and/or mental impairment
  • Help accessing other programs and services

Applying for Vocation Rehabilitation Services in Connecticut

To apply for VR services, go to your nearest BRS office, and apply in person. They will let you know what services you may be eligible for and what you must do if you are eligible for services. You may also need an appointment to meet with a counselor or attend an orientation meeting.

Need Durable Medical Equipment (DME) for a Disabled Individual?

Getting disability services alone is not enough to help disabled individuals and their caregivers. You may need wheelchair ramps for the home installed, a wheelchair-accessible shower put in, or other home medical equipment to help you live independently. Lift and Care Systems has been serving disabled individuals and their caregivers for over 20 years now. We have the name-brand durable medical equipment (DME) you need. Contact us today for a free consultation at (508) 465-5254 or fill out our online contact form.

Lift and Care System’s experts can also help you find the best equipment and help find funding for that equipment.